You will be automatically redirected to Karen's new blog location in 10 seconds.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Here’s how to make my new favorite coleslaw

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my weeklong vacation in Scottsdale, Arizona, and the fabulous salads I had enjoyed as my main courses.

Well, I fell in love with the Grilled Shrimp Salad I enjoyed at Blanco Tacos + Tequila, so I decided to replicate the recipe at home as more of a coleslaw.


I had taken notes while at the restaurant, including all the ingredients I tasted, and I even asked the chef what was in the vinaigrette. I’ve made it twice since my vacation and, although the chopping does take a bit of time (last time it took me 30 minutes, start to finish), it has become popular with my family and co-workers. The only thing missing from my version is the grilled shrimp, which you can easily add if you’d like.

Super-Fresh Cole Slaw
Inspired by Blanco Tacos + Tequila

The key to this recipe is having every ingredient chopped into the same ½ inch sized pieces—making it a chopped salad!

Salad:
½ head green cabbage, diced (this yields about 4 cups)
½ hot house cucumber, diced (leave the skin on)
4 red radishes, diced
1 cup diced jicama
1 cup diced celery
½ cup diced green onions (only the green part)
½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Lime-Vinaigrette Dressing:
Juice of 2 limes, or ¼ cup of prepared lime juice (I use my Pampered Chef Citrus Press to get all the juice out of the limes)
¼ cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon Fleur de Sel with dried herbs (I picked this up in France a few years ago. You can make your own with Fleur de Sel and Herbes de Provence)
1 teaspoon sugar

Mix all chopped vegetables in a large bowl. For salad dressing, mix all ingredients together in a shaker jar or whisk well in a bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the chopped vegetables and toss well. The slaw will be lightly coated and not oily at all.

If you are looking for a fresh salad to serve on July 4th, try this recipe. It’s what I plan to serve!

Enjoy,

Karen

2 comments:

  1. Made this for our family 4th of July at the lake. So crisp, fresh, bright, and light. Great balance of flavors. Some guests did not know what Jicama was, so it was a win-win: great food and something new. I'll make this one again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always love to hear when a new recipe is a hit!

      Thanks for your comment Phil!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...